Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS)
What is the News?
The development of the indigenously designed heavy artillery gun, the Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS), has advanced to a stage where user assisted trials of the gun are likely to start by June and the Army has begun finalising the Preliminary Specifications Qualitative Requirements (PSQR), a defence official said.
The Army, which has been seeking to modernise its weaponry, recently inducted its first modern pieces of artillery in 30 years: the M777 UltraLight Howitzer from the U.S. and the K9 VajraTselfpropelled artillery gun from South Korea.
What is ATAGS?
Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System is a towed 155 mm/52 calibre howitzer that is being developed for the Indian Army by DRDO.
- This project was started in 2013 by DRDO.
- ATAGS was started to replace older guns in service in the Indian Army with a modern 155mm artillery gun.
- The ATAGS is being developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation on two parallel tracks:
- One prototype is being built in partnership with Tata Power (Strategic Engineering Division).
- The other is in collaboration with Bharat Forge.
Key features of ATAGS
- The armament system of ATAGS comprises of 52-calibre gun barrel with breech mechanism.
- Muzzle brake and Recoil system has been designed and developed to fire the 155mm calibre ammunitions held by Army with enhanced range, accuracy and precision.
- TheATAGS is configured with all electric drive technology for the first time in the world that will ensure maintenance free and reliable operation over a long period of time.
- It has advanced features like high mobility, quick deployability, advanced communication system, automatic command and control system with night capability in direct fire mode.
- The gun is two ton lighter than guns in the same category and is designed to provide better accuracy and range.
- It is capable of firing five successive rounds in short duration.
- It also sports a six round magazine instead of the standard three round magazine.