- “Neither Alexander the Great nor Napoleon could have won the empire of India by starting from Pondicherry as a base and contending with a power which held Bengal and command of the Sea.” Comment.
The statement can be traced back to the 3rd Carnatic War in the backdrop of the reasons for the English victory over the French for struggle of power. The success of the English and the failure of the French can be attributed to some deep rooted as well as short term factors.
The fundamental difference between the French and English colonial policies, system of government, composition of the companies and their respective naval powers. The short term factors include the English occupation of Bengal and the tactical blunders of the French authorities.
- It was perhaps the most decisive factor in the final phase of the struggle between the French &the English. By repeatedly defeating and draining the French navy off the Indian waters the English deprived them from getting supplies from their home.
- Although there were several reasons behind the French failure, yet it was the naval superiority and the command over the resources of the Bengal by the British, which are primary causes of English victory.
The English occupation of Bengal:
- Occupation of Bengal in 1757, enabled the English to use the enormous resources of Bengal for fighting against the French. While on the other hand, the French could get very little from the Carnatic and the Deccan, which was insufficient.
- It was the misfortune of the French that the final phase of the Carnatic struggle, while they were losing their foothold on the land, the English had gained the prevalence of seat. It is not correct to point out the incompetency of the then governors of the French company to be the main reason behind the French failure. Because by establishing supremacy over the sea the English could receive men, money and provisions both from Bengal and England which the French could not avail.
Whether it could be Alexander or Napoleon, it was impossible for anyone to stand victorious in a war where the English already had an upper hand with a base at Bengal and a dominating naval power.
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS
- Which of the following statement(s) are correct about the functions of Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI):
1.Regulating the business in stock exchanges and any other securities markets
2.Protecting the rights of investors and ensuring safety to their investment, thereby,prevent fraudulent and malpractices by having balance between self-regulation of business and its statutory regulations.
3.Issuing notes of all denominations and regulate money market and money supply .
a. 1 & 2
b. 2 & 3
c. 1 & 3
d. 1, 2 & 3
- Akash Missile was developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) as part of the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme. Which of the following statements are correct regarding Akash Missile?
1. It is an indigenous missile.
2.It is a medium-range, mobile, surface-to-air missile defense system
3.It is a multi-target, multi-directional, all weather air-defense system and can provide air defense missile coverage for an area of 2,000 square kilometers.
a.1 & 2
b.2 & 3
c.1 & 3
d.1, 2 & 3
Prepared by :