- “Annexation of Punjab was part of a board north-west frontier policy set in motion after the exit of Maharaja Ranjit Singh.” Critically examine.
The East India Company decisively defeated the Sikh army in the Second Anglo-Sikh War. Following the victory, the East India Company annexed the Punjab and incorporated it within British India. There were a number of considerations of the British imperial power which led to the annexation of Punjab :-
- Earlier, Punjab used to act as a buffer state between British provinces and Afghan & Persia but with death Of Maharaja Ranjit Singh and the subsequent instability, Punjab failed to perform this function making annexation inevitable.
- British were also apprehensive of the Russian design in Afghanistan and Central Asia and Russo phobia was another reason for annexation of Punjab.
- In the first Afghan war (1839-42), the British were decisively defeated which brought great humiliation and broke the myth of invincibility of British arms. Annexation of Punjab after that of Sindh was also a logical sequel to regain the lost prestige.
- British Commercial interest due to access to Indus linking Punjab directly to sea route and fertile lands of Punjab suitable for commercial plantation were also major considerations.
- In addition, The British quest for a scientific and safe frontier in the North-West and the imperialist vision of Lord Dalhousie to have an All India Empire were other major considerations.
However, it has to be understood that the annexation of Punjab was part of a broad North-West Frontier policy set up in motion after the exit of Ranjit Singh which is reflected in annexation of Sindh (1843) followed by that of Punjab (1849).
- The people of India agitated against the arrival of Simon Commission because:
a.Indians never wanted the review of the working of the Act of 1919
b.Simon Commission recommended the abolition of Dyarchy (Diarchy) in the Provinces
c.there was no Indian member in the Simon Commission
d.the Simon Commission suggested the partition of the country
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS
- Which of the following statements(s) is/are correct about the Accredited Social Health Activist (ASHA) workers:
- ASHA will be a health activist in the community who will create awareness on health and its social determinants and mobilise the community towards local health planning and increased utilisation and accountability of the existing health services.
- ASHA will provide information to the community on determinants of health such as nutrition, basic sanitation & hygienic practices, healthy living and working conditions, information on existing health services and the need for timely utilisation of health & family welfare services.
- ASHAs shall share the information relating to births that took place during the month with the Panchayat Secretary/Gram Sabha Sewak/ANM whoever has been notified as Registrar/Sub Registrar of Births & Deaths in her village.
a. 1 & 3
b. 2 & 3
c. 1 & 2
d.1, 2 &3
- Consider the following statement regarding ‘e-Sahaj’ portal.
1. It allows private companies to apply for security clearance from anywhere over Internet.
2.a healthy balance between meeting the imperatives of national security and facilitating ease of doing business and promoting investment in the country
3.It comes under the purview of Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
Which of the following statement(s) is/are correct?
a. 1 & 3
b. 1 & 2
c. 1 only
d. 2 & 3
Prepared by :