Changes and Disintegration of the Joining Family
The joint family structure came into being in India because of its agricultural economy & its needs of the agriculture. Now the situation has changed. The country is getting industrialised. The population has gone up. The houses have become shall and the process of urbanisation has changed the socio-economic conditions. Because of all these factors, the institution of joint family has started changing. In certain respects it has even dis-integrated. There are reasons for it. The important factors that have brought about the change in the joint family structure are:
1. Industrial development or industrialisation.
2. Development of the means of communication and scientific and technological development.
3. Increase in population.
4. The process of urbanisation.
5. Impact of western civilisation and culture.
6. Education and development of individualism.
7. Dis-integration of village industries.
8. Social movements.
9. Social legislation, particularly those pertaining to the status of women
Prepared by : Ashish Kumar (All India Highest Marks in Sociology in CSE-2016)