Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicle (DSRV) and The Dam Safety Bill, 2018
Indian Navy inducts its first Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicle.
- The Indian Navy has inducted its first Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicle (DSRV) System at the Naval Dockyard in Mumbai.
- DSRV is used to rescue crew members stranded in submarines that get disabled.
- The Indian Navy joins a select group of naval forces in the world that boasts of this niche capability.
- The DSRV can be operated at a depth of 650 meters and can hold around 15 people.
- The Indian Navy in March 2016 had commissioned two DSRVs, the second will deployed at the Eastern Naval Command in Visakhapatnam.
- The induction of the DSRV marks the culmination of years of effort of the Indian Navy in acquiring this niche submarine rescue capability.
CAG of India gets Vice-Chair of UN Panel of Auditors
- CAG of India, Rajiv Mehrishi has become the Vice-Chair of the UN Panel of Auditors which consists of External Auditors of the United Nations and its agencies.
About UN Panel of Auditors:
- The United Nations General Assembly in 1959 established the Panel of External Auditors, comprising the individual external auditors of the United Nations system.
- It seeks to ensure a transparent and accurate basis for the financial decisions made by the United Nations and its Specialized Agencies.
- The panel members play a significant role in assisting the Organizations to improve their operations and their internal control activities.
- The panel consists of 11 countries – India, Germany, Chile, Canada, France, Italy, Philippines, Ghana, Indonesia, Switzerland and United Kingdom.
- Currently (in 2018), the panel is chaired by the Comptroller and Auditor General of the UK.
- Union Minister of State for Water Resources introduces The Dam Safety Bill, 2018
- The Dam Safety Bill, 2018 aims to provide robust legal and institutional framework under Central & State Governments for safety of dams.
- The Bill envisages prevention and mitigation of dam failure related disasters through proper surveillance, inspection, operation and maintenance of all dams in the country.