Exercise Cutlass Express and INS Trikand
What is the News?
- INS Trikand participates in exercise Cutlass Express 2019
- INS Trikand, a front-line warship of the Indian Navy, participated in a multinational training exercise ‘CUTLASS EXPRESS – 19’ held from 27 Jan to 06 Feb 19.
- The aim of the exercise was to improve law enforcement capacity, promote regional security and progress inter-operability between the armed forces of the participating nations for the purpose of interdicting illegal maritime activity in the Western Indian Ocean.
What is Cutlass Express?
It is an exercise sponsored by U.S. Africa Command (USAFRICOM), and conducted by Naval Forces Africa (NAVAF) to assess and improve maritime law enforcement capacity, promote national and regional security in eastern Africa.
Role of India
- The Indian Navy played a significant role in ‘CUTLASS EXPRESS – 19’, being involved in planning, coordination and execution.
- Through INS Trikand, the IN(Indian Navy) provided a platform for live Visit Board Search Seizure (VBSS) drills, which proved to be of immense training value to the participating nations.
About INS Trikand
- INS Trikand (F51) is a Talwar-class frigate(is a type of warship, having various sizes and roles over the last few centuries) of the Indian Navy.
- She is equipped with a versatile range of sensors and weapons enabling her to address threats in all the three dimensions – air, surface and sub-surface.
Talwar-class frigates or Project 11356 are a class of guided missile frigates designed and built by Russia for the Indian Navy