India and France Tri Service Exercise
India and France are in discussion for a bilateral tri service military exercise to take forward the strategic cooperation while also exploring ways to operationalise the logistics agreement.
- The tri services will likely be held next year.
- This will be India’s third such joint exercise.
- India has conducted first joint tri service exercise with Russia in October 2017.
- It has finalised second join tri service exercise with USA to be held next year.
India and France currently hold bilateral exercises between individual services and are
- Shakti:- between Indian Army and French Army
- Varuna:- between Indian Navy and French Navy
- Garuda:- between Indian Air Force and French Air Force
Purpose of Joint Military exercises
Joint exercises are generally done by nations who share a similar strategic view with respect to an emerging threat. It’s main purpose is
- To ensure the combat readiness of the garrisoned or the deployable forces.
- To build alliances with friendly countries.
- To test our communications, our planning, our decision-making, and our thinking.
- To show case their military strengths
- To make relation with other military forces of the world etc.