What is theosophy?
The name “Theosophy” is an exact translation of the well-know Sanskrit term “Brahmavidya”, for it is made upon two Greek words Theos, God, and Sophia, wisdom.
Who Propagated the idea ?
The word “Theosophy” has been popularized by the Theosophical society, founded by Madame H.P.Blavatsky, Colonel H.S.Olcott,W.Q.Judge and others in 1875 in Newyork of America.
How its influence spread to India?
The founders and distinguished members of the Society came to India being invited by Swami Dayananda Saraswati.
Where and how did the movement spread?
In 1893 Mrs. Annie Besant being influenced by Modern Blavatsky became a member of Theosophical society and in fact acted as its nucleus in India whose activities in India brought freshness and vigor to Indian society and culture. She also provided new dimension to the freedom struggle of India by leading the Home Rule Movement
Why was it accepted and how did it propound Indian ethos ?
- The prime objective of Theosophical society was to propound an organisation of the people on the basis of brotherhood, to study ancient religion, science and philosophy available to any part of the world and to develop divine powers of men.
- Theosophical society played a positive role in the Indian Renaissance of 19th It enriched Indian society and culture.
- The Theosophical Society also contributed to the spread of Home Rule Agitation, the preaching of Swadeshi, the propagation of social reforms like abolition of child marriage, Purdah, illiteracy and drinking, elevation of the downtrodden, introduction of moral and religious instructions in schools and campaigning for female education.
- The Theosophist propounded the revival and strengthening of the ancient religions of Zoroastrianism, Hinduism and Buddhism and preached the universal brotherhood of men.
- The Theosophical society had its branches all over the world and through these centres the world recognised the spiritual greatness of India and the value of the Hiddan Treasures of the Eastern religions-Hinduism and Buddhism.
How can it be applied in Current scenario ?
- While the world is in the brink of wars and terrorism activites this would highlight that all religion is same in its true form and to live in harmony with all religions.
- It works aptly with India’s call of Vasudiva kutumbakam in promoting world as a family sharing colors of brotherhood.
- While sex ratio and female infanticide is still prevalent this can helping as guiding principles in fighting the discrpancies.
- It helps to promote Indian heritage on the universal platform and glorify the cultural richness.