UNSC’s Resolution 2454
What is the News?
- The United Nations Security Council resolution 2454 has been adopted unanimously.
- The United Nations Security Council has adopted a resolution to extend sanctions against the Central African Republic (CAR) for another year.
- Central African Republic is a landlocked country in Central Africa.
About Resolution 2454
- It has been adopted unanimously by the 15-member council, decides to renew the sanctions regime – an arms embargo, travel ban and asset freeze till January 31, 2020.
- The French-drafted resolution says the council intends to establish benchmarks by April 30 on security sector reform, the demobilization and reintegration of combatants, and the management of weapons and ammunition.
Features of the resolution 2454
- They extend the sanctions against the Central African Republic (CAR) for a year.
- The resolution renews an arms embargo, travel ban and asset freeze till January 31, 2020.
- The mandate of the panel of experts, which helps the Security Council with the implementation of the sanctions, until Feb 29, 2020, has been extended.
- The establishment of key benchmarks in various sectors that could help the Security Council to review the arms embargo by April 30, 2019.
United Nations Security Council
- UNSC is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations (UN), charged with the maintenance of international peace and security as well as accepting new members to the United Nations and approving any changes to its United Nations Charter.
- It is the only UN body with the authority to issue binding resolutions to member states.
- The Security Council consists of fifteen members. Russia, the United Kingdom, France, China, and the United States serve as the body’s five permanent members.